Email Address: eli.dial@myldsmail.net

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Funky Foods and Terrific Talks

Well, the Land of Desolation is doing great!  In the last week we've been focused on finding people to teach in our area- you'd think that'd be easy, but the last ten people we've found who want the lessons either want them in Spanish, or they're not technically in our area, so we've given all the missionaries serving around us like 2 people each (which is good for them, but bad for us).

That package I am going to send with stuff for Adi? Yeah, with the way everything's going, you might as well expect it around... March. I'm not joking, as P-day only goes from 10am-5pm, and the zone gets together from 2-5 to go hiking and such, emails from 10-12, lunch and shopping, I don't have much time to actually write stuff in that time. I'll do my best, but as for hand-written letters, don't get too hopeful. 

This picture (and video) is of the sunrise from my apartment- I finally got a good picture or two of it!  (If you don't get these, let me know, I'll try again later)

(Sorry guys, the video wouldn't load so you just get the picture!) 




As for the title of this email, in the past week I've had masubi- which is spam sushi, wrapped in the seaweed and everything.  We had it with a Samoan family, where the oldest is 18 and preparing to go on a mission, and the youngest boy is 15 and looks like he's the oldest (he's 6' 2" and weighs 270, he's the biggest [height and weight] out of the three boys that are between the ages of 15-18 and his name is Monhonrimoriancumer (the actual name of the brother of Jared, in Ether).  I also had lengua, which is spanish for "cow tongue".  (I can see some of you gagging already XD)  It was strange but pretty good.

Yes, I did get to watch all of conference, and I did see Elder Jaynes in the choir, the lucky duck. Yes, Pres. Eyring did mention my mission, (#NMAMrepresent!!) and that Albuquerque does have 4 stakes (that's 4 different zones for us missionaries down here).  You all should live by Elder Oaks' talk, cause that made all full time missionaries' dreams come true!!  Dad, we do get the Ensign, but you should still send me my own copy of the conference editions, cause I want to have my own copy where I can read it. :)  

So, I'm a representative of Jesus Christ, and because He chastens who He loves (D&C somewhere) I'm doing this out of love for you all.  After General Conference most people have the mentality that they were good talks, and then we go about our normal business.  So here's a quote or two that I found before the mission,  
          "... a message given by a General Authority at a general conference- a message prepared under the influence of the Spirit to further the work of the Lord- is not given to be enjoyed.  It is given to inspire, to edify, to challenge, or to correct.  It is given to be heard under the influence of the Spirit of the Lord, with the intended result that the listener learns from the talk and from the Spirit what he or she should do about it."                      -Dallin H. Oaks
           "When we put off obedience or delay following the prophet, we bring more serious consequences upon ourselves."                                              -(I have no idea where or who)
I don't know about you, but from what I understood, the "theme" of conference was the Book of Mormon and/or the Atonement.  I don't know about you, but that's kinda freaky to me- the two most basic, important, taught things in this gospel, and the leaders of the church talked about them- for the purpose of having us become better.  Those two things provide hope- one of them even provides hope in the other-but it seems to me, that if they think we need to be taught on probably 8 hours of the 10 on those things, something is going to happen where it is absolutely needed.  So be changed by what you heard (and felt) at conference!  Don't just change your behavior-- change your nature.  Those two things, the Book of Mormon and the Atonement, are the ways that that can happen!

Anyways, keep going, and don't forget- Christ said, "I have engraven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me." 

Te whanaunga mo ake tonu!


(Sorry guys, the video wouldn't load so you get another picture!) 
Elder Eli James Dial

No comments:

Post a Comment