Email Address: eli.dial@myldsmail.net

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Espanol is no Bueno

First things first (I'm the realest #fancy ;)  happy birthday Adi! I know you can't read this, and that your birthday's actually tomorrow, but have a great 5th birthday! I'll send a package there soon!  :)

A lot has happened this week, and it started last Wednesday with exchanges!  So I got to spend a full 24 hours away from my companion and my area, with the only other Elders in our District--the Zone Leaders.  And naturally, they're the Spanish Elders.  So basically, I got to spend a whole day listening and acting like I knew what was going on, as most of it was in Spanish.  Twas a dream come true. ;)

Next, Juan.  He was gone Monday through Thursday last week, picking up his brother from California, and so we go and try to meet with him for our appointment and boom-- his brother's atheist, and we couldn't get in with Juan, because it's the brother answering the door.  We'll keep trying and doing our best, but this brother is "always trying to kill my vibes" (name that movie). 

So we met another Juan, Juan 2.0.  We had met him before, but we met him again on the bus, and that's when he looks at us and (without us asking) gives us his address and asks us to go meet with him- every missionaries' dream!  His story though, is epic, and typically, he's the guy you would think is super intimidating just by his looks.  He's been shot at least 6 times (maybe 8, we're not sure), is an amputee (he's got an artificial leg from the knee down on his left leg), and a couple months ago, he broke his other leg, when a car fell on it.  He wasn't supposed to walk for 5 more months, but he's on a cane now, and he's doing work.  He's been in prison for drug abuse, his wife is still in and out of prison for it, but 10 years ago, his 2 kids were almost put up for adoption.  That's when he changed his life around.  He cleaned up, stopped using drugs, and is now working as best he can to support those two kids, who have been living with him for about 9 years now.  He knows he's alive for a reason, and he believes that that reason is his kids.  Literally, the epitome of what a missionary wants from an investigator.  Unfortunately, after we met with him, we found out from him that he would prefer to receive the lessons IN SPANISH.  WE DON'T EVEN GET TO TEACH THE GUY.  So Elder Proctor and I are really upset about that.

Yesterday was Zone Conference.  So, a little background. What they do, is about 3 days in advance, they give you a topic and you prepare a 5 minute talk on it, but you don't know who's talking until they announce your name over the pulpit.  The biggest catch to it- you're not allowed to take anything up there with you.  Your scriptures, notes, nothing.  It's just you and the congregation.

So Elder Proctor needs to go to the bathroom.  And when he needs to go, HE NEEDS TO GO.  So we wait till the end of the Stake President's talk, get up and go.  When we walk back in, while Sister Ashton (one of the missionaries) is giving her talk, one Elder looks me in the eye as I'm walking to my seat and mouths the words "you're talking".  I sit down, and I have four missionaries look at me, with either worry, sadness, or maybe a little joking.  I look at Elder Larkin, one of the AP's and point to myself, to which he nods slightly.  When Sister Ashton finishes, I look to the conducting AP, Elder McGarry, and he just looks at me and nods.  This whole time, I'm thinking "ah crap. I have nothing prepared for this"  And I didn't.  The topic was the scripture of the month that we had to memorize, Moroni 8:25 (or something like that)- "The firstfruits of repentance is baptism; and baptism cometh by faith unto the fulfilling the commandments; and the fulfilling the commandments bringeth remission of sins" So what did I do? I got up and gave a 5 minute talk on it.  I have no idea what I said, but it was cool.  I basically tied it in to the missionary purpose, to "Invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through Faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement, Repentance, Baptism, Receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost, and Enduring to the End"  It was sweet.

I'm growing closer to the members and it's awesome!  I have had some spicy food now, and after two weeks of waiting, I can finally say that the food here makes me want El Paso El Gas-o. (I've literally been waiting for 2 weeks to say that). It's still tasty, though, and as far as I know, I haven't gained any weight since the MTC, so I'm still going to eat more and more. ;)

Now, on to more serious matters: my Christmas wish list.  What I want from all of you, is your favorite picture of Christ and your testimony (hard copies of both) and you better sign your name at the bottom of your testimony.  I don't care if I get the same picture 30 times, if it's wallet size or what, but just send it to me.  I know this is 3 months in advance, but I figured I'd let you know so you can start preparing.  You can put your testimony on the back of the picture, you can send them as two separate items, but either way, I want them both.  If you don't want to send them yourself, you can give them to my parents and they will send them for you, or get together with a group of friends and do it, I don't care, just do it! (As for the missionaries who are out serving, just send me your testimony, however long you want it to be, and I can print it off here.)

My address is: 
Elder Eli James Dial
New Mexico Albuquerque Mission

(This is the mission office address, that's where they want the mail sent, and I don't know where/when I'm going to be transferred, so just send it here so it won't get lost in the mail)
(Mom, I don't know how long it takes the mail to get here because it gets to the mission office and I get it whenever someone goes up there or they come down here [it's a 4 hour drive], so I got your package and all that yesterday, if that helps)

Sorry this is a long one, but there was a lot that I wanted to tell you all!

Te whanaunga mo ake tonu!

--
Elder Eli James Dial

PS I challenge you all to study in depth (the interpretations as contained in 1 Nephi 13, the grammar, the placement of what he says and where he says it, stuff like that) Lehi's vision of the tree of life (1 Nephi 8), cause I have been since I've restarted the BOM back in the MTC, and there's a ton of perspectives that can be added to make it cooler, and I'd love to hear what you all come up with. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment